FIBER SOLUTIONS FOR YOU!
Now to your home & community
Welcome to the Network of the Future!
Why Fiber to the Home? (FTTH)
One word: Bandwidth! Current and developing technologies that people enjoy in their homes today require a lot of two-way data transfer. Examples include high-definition television, streaming video, online gaming and video recording – all of which require increasing amounts of bandwidth. These bandwidth requirements also increase in direct correlation to the number of users enjoying the services. Data transfer can be compared to traffic on a busy highway. As the traffic increases, movement slows and bottlenecks occur. To alleviate the congestion, larger more efficient highways are developed and implemented. FTTH represents this new, faster and more efficient data highway. Fiber optic cables can transmit far more information with a greater degree of fidelity over greater distances. And since it’s harder to “tap” than copper, it has the added benefit of extra security for the data being transmitted.
What are the Advantages of Fiber-to-the-Home (FTTH?)
* Faster connection speeds, downstream/upstream transmission and carrying capacity.
* Can manage bandwidth requirements for current, developing and future technologies.
* Fiber resides underground so it provides maximum stability.
* Higher quality connection.
* More bandwidth and flexibility.
* Increases home value.
* Not affected by temperature or weather conditions.
* Stability & Reliability
* Future Proof
Why do I need all of this Bandwidth?
You might not need all of the bandwidth today, but most likely you will in the future. Fiber brings you a clearer picture with your video. More channels and more video options. Right now, worldwide, it is estimated that an average home uses 13 connected devices. With the rapid pace of change in the telecommunications world, you will be ahead of the game with fiber connectivity.
- Preliminary fiber routes and design are Land is researched for correct easements
- Customer is contacted for mainline fiber easement
- Customer visited with about the direction and placement of fiber if on their premise.
- The main fiber line is constructed down miles and miles of roads and highways. This in itself is a several year project. On a good day about 1 mile of fiber is put in the ground.
- The mainline fiber is now in the ground so it is on to Step 2!
- Customers are now contacted about placement of drops along with an onsite visit to go over concerns.
- Easements are signed and notarized. In some cases this is done in Step 1.
- Diggers Hotline is called and property is flagged.
- Construction crew plows to the outside of the premise.
- Fiber is coiled is put the hand hole by the road and brought into the new box on the side of the home.
- Once and area is towards completion, splicing crews report.
- Each coiled end at both the hand hole and your home is spliced.
- Fiber is glass strands and every single strand in a cable of fiber needs to be spliced together. Once an area is spliced testing begins. Any unsatisfactory test results are sent back to the splicing group to be re-spliced and retested. Once testing results meet Lakeland’s standards addresses are turned over for scheduling.
- Customer is called and an appointment is scheduled.
- A Lakeland technician arrives at your home and connects the ONT/Gigacenter to the fiber.
- A battery is installed along with the Gigacenter. Depending on the services the customer uses, ethernet and video connections are completed.
- Wifi is turned on and devices are connected and named.
- The technician now takes his time to educate the customer on the fiber connection; talks about Lakeland’s Smart Support, managed wifi and answers any questions or concerns.
Fiber Connectivity is complete to your home.
As you can tell from steps 1-3 this has not been an easy or quick process. Going from Step 1 to Step 4 can take anywhere from 2 to 4 years as construction, splicing and connection happens.
Thousands of customers are being cutover to fiber optics in stages to allow for all of the steps needed in the process.
We thank you for the patience you have had and we look forward to you experiencing fiber connectivity at your home.
Good for the LOCAL Economy
Lakeland provides a positive impact on local economic development and improved quality of life by bringing virtually unlimited bandwidth to the community. Fiber Optics can best handle the data intensive operations of information technology, advanced manufacturing, healthcare, finance and other sections of business.
Lakeland provides unlimited capacity for carrying large files, a cutting edge gaming experience, and digital TV with high definition. With Fiber to the Home, you experience better picture quality, better sound quality, faster Internet Speeds and a better reliable service.
Connects You Globally
Fiber to the Home allows people to stay connected to the global economy no matter where we live. Fiber will also increase on-line learning opportunities while enhancing the learning experience, giving everyone easy access to courses from the best trainers, colleges and instructors from around the world.
FIBER BATTERY BACKUP FOR TELEPHONE SERVICE ONLY
Many of today’s advanced home phone services require backup battery power to continue functioning during a power outage. To avoid a disruption of home voice service during an outage – and to maintain the ability to connect to 911 emergency services — we at Lakeland Communications offer you the option of purchasing backup power for your home phones.
What Your Battery Can – and Can’t – Do for You Lakeland backup batteries allow you to continue to use your home voice services during a power outage. Without a backup battery or alternate backup source such as a generator, customers will not be able to make any calls, including emergency calls to 911. The only way to maintain the ability to use your phone is by using some form of backup power. Our backup battery does not provide power to any services other than voice. Home security systems, medical monitoring devices and other equipment will not run on a home phone backup battery.
Purchase and Replacement Options
If you are concerned about being able to contact 911 emergency services during a power outage, a backup battery may be a good option for you. You can purchase a backup battery directly through Lakeland Communications. If you have any questions or simply want to purchase a backup battery through us, please call 715-825-2171, visit our website at www.lakeland.ws. If you decide to get a battery and do not feel comfortable installing your own battery, please call us to make an appointment, and we would be happy to assist you. However, please note that there will be a charge for the equipment and installation of the service. You can purchase the backup battery from Lakeland Communications for approximately $100.
You can also purchase a backup battery through many of your local retailers or on-line. Be sure to purchase the battery model that matches the type of equipment that you have. The type of equipment that you have is a NID TM502G. The type of battery that you need is an 8 Hour Backup Battery. Expected Backup Power Duration Backup batteries are expected to last at least 8 hours on standby power. The backup battery should give you 6 hours of talk time. If you feel that is not enough time, you may extend your standby power by purchasing a 24 hour battery or additional 8 hour batteries.
Instructions for Proper Care and Use of Your Battery
Please follow the detailed instructions included with your battery for proper use, storage and care of your battery to ensure that it will function as needed during a power outage. If you do not store your battery correctly, it may shorten its useful life. Environmental factors such as temperature can shorten your battery’s useful life. We recommend that you store your battery above 41°F and below 104°F. These batteries are not rechargeable. They will not last forever and should be replaced every 1 to 2 years, or when your device starts to make a loud beeping sound. That sound means that the battery is depleted, and must be replaced. See the instructions above for purchase and replacement options. You should also periodically, as described in the instructions included with your battery, remove and test your battery to verify both the operation of the backup battery and its condition. You are responsible for your battery and replacement.
Fiber Connectivity Updates by Area
Click on map to view.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH YOUR FIBER CONNECTION?
Unlimited Multiple Devices
Simultaneously run your tablets, computers and gaming systems. Stream movies in HD.
Internet speeds available up to 1 Gig!
Telecommuting: Live Here. Work Anywhere!
Quickly transfer large data files. No lag on cloud-based applications and connections.
TV Entertainment Experience
Watch crystal clear high definition (HD)
Greater DVR storage, multiple recording capabilities.
We can scale your experience to any speed you want or need.
Download or upload large files with blazing speed. That means an HD movie in less than 1 minute. Perfect for Netflix customers and gaming online.
Unlimited Future Possibilities
Fiber Technology is prepared for advancements of home automation, distance learning, telemedicine, video conferencing and new technologies emerging every day.
Valuation of your home increases by at least $5,000.00!
Fiber to the Home Council, 2014
High Definition Video
Movies and Entertainment
Uploading/Downloading Large Files
Multi-Users can experience all
Monitoring & Surveillance